Chittoor also known as Chittur, is the headquarters and the second biggest town of Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh, India.
District, Geography and location
Chittoor lies on the banks of Ponnai river at the southernmost part of Andhra Pradesh. The Chittoor district (Area 15,359 km², population 2,267,769-1991 census) is bounded by Anantapur District to the northwest, Cuddapah District to the north, Nellore District to the northeast, Vellore & Tiruvellore districts of Tamil Nadu state to the south, and Karnataka state to the southeast. The city is strategically located at the junction of Bangalore-Chennai national highway 4 and national highway 18. The town is famous for Kanipakam temple which is located in IRALA Mandal and in addition, the district is known for Tirupati, and Sri Kalahasti temples.
Telugu is the official language. Telugu forms the most widely spoken language of the city, distantly followed by Tamil. There is a significant Muslim population that reside in the town Population 252,654 (2001 census). Chittoor town has a sex ratio of 1000: 985. The literacy rate of the town is 90.60%.
Though Chittoor is the district capital and houses many of district level government institutions, Tirupati holds the major economical activities of the district. Chittoor is predominantly an agro-market place for its district. It is a market center for mango, grain, sugarcane, and peanut. Industries include oilseed and rice milling. As the entry point for huge cluster of industries located in adjoining Vellore district esp. around Ranipet for Northern India, and strategically located in between Chennai and Bangalore, Chittoor boasts a busy logistics industry. It is quite common to see thousands of men and women from Chittoor travel to Tirupathi, Ranipet and Vellore for work and education, and this forms one of the major income to the city's population. State government's initiatives to develop the district making use of its proximity to two major business centers of the country - Chennai and Bangalore, is expected to improve the economy of the district as well as Chittoor to a great extent. Recent proposals of setting up of industrial parks around Tirupati by the state government has given a significant boost to the region's economic activities. Chittoor's leading industry and largest employer is Amararaja Group employing over 3,600 people. It is home to NutrineConfectionaries, a major chocolate manufacturer in India, which was acquired by Godrej group in 2007. The ISRO Radar Center is located at Gadanki, on the Chittoor-Tirupati Highway. Poultry industry has a significant industry here, which is second only to Namakkal. Mango and tamarind groves surround the town of Chittoor, and cattle are raised in the district. It's also famous for mangos ( called as collector/totapari/chittoor variety) and jaggery. It exports nearly 500 Million Tonnes of Raw / Processed Pulp / Fruit to other countries. Around 200 small & medium scale granite industries function in and around Chittoor. Vijaya Diary was one of the federations to process milk on a large scale in the district. Incidentally, it is largest unit in the country after AMUL (Gujarat). Madanapalle is the center of an agricultural region noted for its fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes. The district is also famous for hospitals like T.B.Sanitorium which is located in Arogyavaram, 5km from Madanapalle, Apollo Hospital at Arragonda. Rishi Valley, near Horsely Hills is noted for its residential education Gurukula. One of India's greatest philosopher, Jiddu Krishnamurti chose this site to set up his Jiddu krishnamurti foundation as well as Rishi valley school, one of India's elite boarding schools.
Hotels & Motels
- BANS THE HOTEL (3 Star) Accommodaton, Dining & Water
- Park,website:www.bansc.in, Coll No.09704771333
- HOTEL PRATHAP[NON-VEG], Near Old Busstand.
- Nirmala Bar Residency ... Near Dharga..Chittoor
- Hotel Alankar and Lodge,Vellore road ph:233232,231442
- SINDHU towers ac restuarant & lodging
- RR Residency ,kattamanchi bridge
- VISHNU BHAVAN HOTEL ,prakasam high road
- HOTEL KING'S [NON-VEG],prakasam high road
- HOTEL VALLI BHAVAN, near old busstand
- HOTEL SRI LAKSHMI VISHNU BHAVAN ,prakasam high road
- NANDHINI FOOD RESTUARANT , bengaluru bye-pass
- HOTEL ARYAAS, near msr theatre
- N.P.S BAR & RETUARANT ,kongareddy palli
- A.S.N group of hotels
- MAYURI BAR & RESTUARANT ,reddygunta check post
- NANDI BAR & RESTUARANT ,near msr theatre
- HOTEL MENAKA, near msr circle
- HOTEL UDIPI, near New RTC Bus Stand, Kongareddy Palli
- District stands among top districts in terms of the prevalence of HIV in the country. The large workforce, predominantly low skilled; involved in logistics sector, and huge tribal population across the district; forms a significant reason for this fact. Initiatives taken by NGOs and Government organizations have given hope to make the situation better in recent years.
- Due to the dry geography of the region, esp. during dry monsoon years, farmers have been repeatedly advised to cultivate dry crops; which in turn has seen least reaction.
- The tourism infrastructure setup here is quite below the national index, which can be improved to host increasing tourist inflow.
- The much discussed Chennai-Bangalore industrial corridor might improve the economical status of the region, but not much activities have been seen on regard to this after the principal acceptance by the Prime Minister in 2008.
Chittoor is home of many reputed educational institutions. The notable ones are:
High Schools and Junior Colleges:
- SMS High School (Thapovanam)-Sanscrit School in Chittoor Town
- Sri Devi English Medium School,Greams pet, Chittoor
- Camford group of Schools, Chittoor & Madanapalle
GANGANAPALLE WEST CAMPUS
KONGAREDDY PALLI EAST CAMPUS
HORSLEY HILLS GLOBAL CAMPUS
- B.V.Reddy School,Chittoor.
- P.N.C.Municipal High School, Santhapet, Chittoor.
- Kings English School,Chittoor
- Municipal High School, Greamspet, Chittoor
- Good Shepherd Senior Secondary School, Chittoor
- Vidya Vihar High School,C.B Road,GreamsPet,Chittoor
- Sri Vivekanada Educational Academy, Chittoor (Junior college)
- B.Z. High School, Chittoor.
- Sherman Girls High School, Chittoor.
- S.V.Z.P High School, Kanipakam, Chittoor.
- PCR Govt junior college, Chittoor.
- Varadappa Naidu Municipal School, Chittoor.
- B.S. Kannan Govt High School and Junior College.
- Sri Vani Vidyalaya,Santhapet, Chittoor.
- Sir C.R.Reddy High School,Chittoor.
- Little Flower High School, Chittoor.
- PCR Govt High School, Chittoor
- VCR Degree College, Chittoor.
- Sri Harsha E M School, Chittoor
- Devi Bala Mandir High School, Chittoor.
* Municipal High School, Kattamanchi, Chittoor.Italic text Bold text* Crist English Medium School,Kattamanchi, Chittoor.
- Lords English Medium School,Kattamanchi, Chittoor.
- Nalanda English Medium School, Kattamanchi, Chittoor.
Higher Education Institutions:
- P.V.K.N Govt Degree College, Chittoor, 517001 (NAAC Certified)
- Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering and Technology(SVCET), Chittoor.
- Sreenivasa Institute of Technology and Management Studies (SITAMS), Chittoor - www.sitams.org
- M.S.R MOVIE LAND
- VIJAYALAKSHMI, otk road
- CHANAKYA, otk road
- GURUNADHA THEATRE ,otk road
- RAGHAVA THEATRE ,naidu buildings ,mittoor
- SRINIVASA THEATRE ,darga circle
- SRI VENKATESWARA ,vellore road
- ANANDHA THEATRE ,vellore road [adult content]
- VIVEKANANDA THEATRE ,greamspet road [adult content]
- Jyothi Talkies - Demolished
Banks and ATMS
Banks(in alphabetical order):
- Allahabad Bank.
- Andhra Bank -3 Darga Chowk,
- Andhra Bank-1 Highroad.
- Andhra Bank-2 Kongareddypalli,
- Axis Bank.
- Bank of India.
- Bank of Baroda Greamspet.
- Canara Bank.
- Central Bank of India.
- Corporation bank.
- Indian bank-1 Shesparain street.
- Indian bank-2 Kongareddypalli.
- Indian bank-3 Greamspet.
- Indian overseas Bank.
- IndusInd Bank.
- ING Vysya Bank.
- Karur Vysya Bank.
- Lakshami Vilas Bank.
- Punjab National Bank.
- Saptagiri Grameena Bank.
- State Bank of Hyderabad.
- State Bank of India-1 Highroad.
- State Bank of India-2 Greamspet.
- Syndicate Bank.
- Union Bank of India.
- Vijaya bank.
- Andhra Bank-1,Alankar Hotel.
- Andhra Bank-2,Darga circle.
- Andhra Bank-3,Kongareddypalli.
- Axis Bank-1,Highroad.
- Axis Bank-2,Greamspet.
- Axis Bank-3,Kongareddypalli.
- Bank of Baroda (opening shortly) Greamspet.
- Corporation Bank,Near Gandhi Statue.
- ICICI Bank, High Road.
- Indian overseas Bank,Naidu buildings.
- IndusInd Bank-1,Naidubuildings.
- IndusInd Bank-2,B.V Reddy Petrolbunk.
- Indian Bank-1,Kongareddypalli.
- Indian Bank-2,Near Gandhi Statue.
- Karur Vysya Bank,Shesparain street.
- Punjab National Bank,Shesparain street.
- State Bank of India -1 (SBI Chittoor Branch prmises),Highroad.
- SBI-2,SBI Greamspet Branch Premises,(two tellers).
- SBI-3,Railway station.
- SBI-4,Shesparain street.
- Syndicate Bank,DI Road.
- Union Bank of India-1,Church street.
- Union Bank of India-2,Near old bustand.